Having read a lot about Ofsted deep drives in Computer Science…here are some key points to consider when developing the Computer Science curriculum:
- Intended outcomes are defined and focussed on CS/IT/DL (meet NC requirements), especially programming
- Prove that students remember & apply key content (i.e. student work/assessments).
- The curriculum teaches more than what’s assessed (e.g. cultural capital) but not excessively broad
- Proportionate and appropriate amount of time spent on each activity (with students actually learning rather than randomly experimenting)
- Appropriately sequenced – if relevant: procedural content / age-appropriate e-safety content. (Declarative content does not need to be sequenced.)
CS = Computer Science. IT = Information Technology. DL = Digital literacy.
NC = National Curriculum